Sunday, November 14, 2010

At Long Last!

Hello friends and family! Well, here I am, sitting here at my computer, creating this highly anticipated and abundantly requested blog about my journey to Israel and beyond. If this means what I think it means – and what I think it means is that I am actually going to get on a plane bound for Israel tomorrow – then there is really no turning back anymore.
Alas, it is indeed true. Tomorrow, around 1:30 p.m., I will be boarding an El Al jetliner journeying from Los Angeles International airport to Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion airport. That’s right folks, I will be taking a 16-hour plane ride (yes, you did read that dreadful time estimate correctly) from my warm, sunny southern California home to the utterly contrasting holy land in the Middle East. Oh, did I forget to mention that this 16-hour flight is a one-way ticket? That’s correct, my friends. No return date has yet been set, although we anticipate being there between one to two years while Rafi finishes up school. Gasp. I would just like to let you all know that I had to stop and actually take a deep breathe as I wrote that. What exactly am I signing up for here? My dad and good friends assure me it’s going to be amazing and I will just have to take their word for it (especially since my husband feeds off my own nerves, doubling my anticipation).
For a few years now, I have known that a possible move to Israel was in the cards for me. After all, that is what happens when you agree to date and marry a man who is not from this country and who is completing his degree abroad. Logically, I knew this move might happen at some point. However, out of fear and perceived discomfort, I tried to avoid this inevitable move and denied that it would ever actually happen. I found several excuses along the way, including delaying the end of graduate school, moving back to San Diego to plan my wedding and even taking a temporary job offer before a previously planned attempt to make the move, thanks to my good friend Paula ;)
But, alas, the present has finally caught up with me. My graduate degree has been completed, the wedding planning and celebration is over, and I have freed myself of all employment endeavors in order to make this move. There are no more excuses. All signs are pointing to: IT’S TIME!
Moving abroad, ironically, seems to be the quickest and easiest way for us to fast forward to our mutual goal of finally settling down. And that is simply something I will have to remember in my moments of doubt. The last few days have been filled with many friendly faces and pleasant surprises, including an unexpected visit from my older sister Heather (my family even kept her visit a secret from our dad because everyone knows he would have slipped….), family outings to my favorite palettes and places (i.e. The Marine Room, Balboa Park, and The Prado) and a great farewell celebration with my friends at Alfonso’s of La Jolla. I even received a special late-night delivery of cupcakes all the way from Los Angeles from a wonderful friend of mine. Best of all, San Diego delivered a fresh and consistent batch of warm sunshine over the past trio of days, making it a picture perfect way to leave my beloved city. Smothered with positivity, it makes it doubly difficult to leave behind this place called home. Then, before I get too sad, people remind me that I have a husband waiting for me abroad, and I reluctantly agree that it is indeed time to journey afar.
Only time will tell what sorts of adventure await me. Although part of me would prefer to be sitting back at home as the voyeur in this tale, there is another part of me that also loves to tell a good story. Thus, I would love it if you would come along with me on this sure-to-be entertaining tale as it unravels itself day by day.
Bon voyage and see you in Israel!
Wedding Ceremony
Wedding Day
Lunch at The Prado
Balboa Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.