Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wedding Nostalgia

Since it's officially past midnight here, I can say that today marks exactly five months of wedded bliss (it's hard to believe how quickly time is passing) and it's leaving me a bit nostalgic. Most brides will agree that the wedding planning process, and the big day itself, is so confounded by stress and (happy) chaos that the celebration itself is a difficult and surreal one to enjoy. I find myself only now being able to sit back and appreciate the day for what it was: magical and one-of-a-kind. That's why I cannot wait for the next batch of brides to get engaged and start wedding planning so that I can dive back in behind the scenes and watch others enjoy this sparkling time that passes by all too quickly. For the moment, however, because I am in a "wedding state-of-mind", I have decided to reminisce by highlighting some special memories that continue to flutter the back, and front, of my mind:

Please enjoy a personal favorite, Michael Buble's "Everything" while you read through this post. How can this beautiful song not make you smile?



And of course, don't forget to come back and listen to some of the more popular wedding ceremonial songs that I included in the video below. My personal favorites are Pachelbel's "Canon in D" (my choice for the walk down the aisle), Handel's "Air From Water" and Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". We had the talented Mr. Fred Benedetti and his accompanying duo performing at the ceremony and cocktail hour.



One thing that I can never get enough of are wedding dresses. This is ironic mostly because I was never one of those little girls who grew up envisioning white gowns and celebrating their big day.  I like to say that I didn't have the "bride gene". Sure, I pictured sharing my life with someone and having a family, but, big white dresses and a black tie affair? No, I didn't dream of it. In fact, down til the last minute, I wasn't even sure if I wanted a big wedding at all. I nearly opted to get married at the courthouse in order to avoid all the fuss; however, in the end, I wound up siding with tradition. I guess there was a part of me that wanted to have the experience of it after all. 

I was definitely a newcomer to all things "wedding". At my first wedding dress shop, I looked dumbfounded at the salesgirl when she asked what kind of style I wanted for my dress. Style? What do you mean what style? How about I just go through the racks and point out what I like, and more importantly, what I don't like? Does that sound good? I didn't know the names of the silhouettes (i.e. A-line, mermaid, fit-and-flair, ballgown, sheath), necklines (sweetheart, bateau, halter, scoop, square, strapless), waistlines (dropped waist, asymmetric, empire waist, etc.) and don't even get me started on all the fabrics (lace, satin, organza, tulle and chiffon,  just to name a few) and the list goes on and on. Though I did find my way eventually, it wasn't until after the wedding was over, when I finally had time to breathe again, that I became even more obsessed with all things "bridal". I haven't been able to stop thinking about the dozens of beautiful dresses that were almost mine. Here are a few runner-ups:

     

    


If you're curious, from top to bottom left to right, it's:  1) Ulla-Maija's Anastase, 2) Ulla-Maija's Courtney, 3) Ulla-Maija's Mariella, 4) Ulla-Maija's Maureen, 5) Rivini's Ambrosia, 6) Rivini's Armane, 7) Amsale's Reese and 8) Rivini's Spring 2011 line thrown in just for fun. The winner was a Rivini gown, the Armane, (see below) a clean-cut and sophisticated look that was both simple and elegant at the same time. Of course, half the fun was the bedazzled swarovski crystal sash that I had made and added to the dress. Both dress and sash were purchased at Newport Beach's Erin Cole Bridal. Believe it or not, the dresses shown here are just a select few of the many beautiful ones that made an impression on my heart. I fantasize about opening a bridal shop one day, which is a far cry from the unknowing girl I was at the beginning of the wedding process. For all of you back home, I am envious that you can all watch my very favorite show Say Yes to the Dress, which I have yet to successfully play here in Israel. I am hoping someone I know will be able to one day get into Kleinfeld's to make an appearance on this addicting show!

 

Not only the dresses flood my mind. Even the memory of fresh, tightly-wound roses cross before me every now and I can almost smell the fresh scent of the flowers. As a result, I occasionally find myself peeking into flower shops just to see what sorts of beautiful creations they have in the making. If I'm lucky, I sometimes see bouquets for brides and bridesmaids being prepared for an awaiting bride. My wedding flowers were courtesy of Hannah at San Diego's Modern Bouquet:
    
                       

And now, getting back to the original point of wedding nostalgia, here are a few pictures to recapture my wedding from just five months ago, courtesy of Emily Faulknor Photography. And yes, you've likely already seen these before, but hey, it's my blog and my reminiscing, so here they are anyway. Don't worry, I have something new (for some of you) below who weren't able to be there on our wedding day.

     





And of course, who could forget the cake? It was almost perfect, except for the fact that fondent was used instead of our requested whipped cream cheese frosting with white chocolate flakes. Oh well, the guests did not know that anything was amiss. I do highly suggest tasting this delectable frosting from Flour Power if you ever have the opportunity, it's to die for!


As is my nature, I can't help but wonder how things would have looked differently with thousands of different possible finishing touches, i.e. a different hair-do (maybe long, with extensions, thick and wavy), a different color scheme (maybe bright yellows and oranges, the colors of summer), different flowers and/or makeup, a different dress, etc., etc. Because you cannot go back, you can only go forward, and that is why I am so eager to either a) celebrate with future brides, or b) maybe even fulfill my dream of working in the bridal industry one day. For now, please enjoy the slide show that our DJ, Gary Davis, put together for the wedding reception. The quality is a little degraded because we had to transfer the file from its original format, but I hope you will enjoy it regardless! I know that I love watching it, and want to add even more pictures to it as time goes on:

5 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the slide show all over again! I feel like every bride needs to do a wedding post after all the work that goes into a wedding :)...maybe on our 2 year I will get the energy to re-visit my special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! It was such a beautiful wedding and bride! I am totally nostalgic for the amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I think the funnest part (and most stressful) was trying on the dresses. I think I covered more stores in more cities than anyone I know, haha! I can give pointers on dress shops in like 15 different cities, frighteningly. Thank you ALL OF YOU because each of you came with me to a very important part of the process. Miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, love this post! So beautiful. Actually, probably love it too much -- can't go into wedding wishing mode, I'll never get work done :) Love the Buble song too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.