Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Do It Yourself Hamantaschens

So, my hamantaschens may not have turned out exactly the way I wanted them to this year, but I know the recipe is a good one. My mom bakes these every year for Purim and they always turn out delicious in her kitchen! I just needed mom's magic touch (or, maybe a little less flour and a little less baking time) to make my hamantaschens picture perfect. Here's the recipe for those of you at home who might be interested in getting a little creative in the kitchen:

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 cup fruit preserves, any flavor (or in my case, 1 cup of chocolate chips)

First, start by gathering all the ingredients:


Next mix all the dry ingredients together (including the flour, sugar and baking powder):


Then, mix in the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, orange juice and vegetable oil):


Mix it up until you've got a nice smooth puree and continue to add flour until the dough is no longer sticky (you will need to work with it later). Once you've got a good consistency, put it into the fridge or freezer for up to one day (this is where I went wrong, I only put it in the fridge for 3 hours):


After you take the dough out of the fridge, lay it out onto a flat surface and roll it flat with a rolling pin. Next, cut the dough with a circular cookie cutter (or the top of a circular glass like I did) into as many circular shapes as you can until the dough runs out:


After you have all your circular shapes cut out, it's time to put in the filling. I did one round of chocolate chips (see below) and one round of raspberry jam. Pinch the circle into a triangular shape as you see in the photos below:

 

Finally, pop them into the oven for about 15 minutes each (or until golden brown) at 350 F and then let them cool for just one minute before sprinkling some powdered sugar on top. Voile!


Finally, ENJOY!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.