Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Last Minute Croatia

Back in 2002, I wrote my admissions essay for the Semester at Sea program about the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia.  Unfortunately, financial constraints precluded me from ever embarking on the voyage around the world. Ever since, I have been passionately interested in visiting Croatia in general. Tomorrow, I am happy to say that this dream will become a reality. 

  

             


Here's what happened. Today, I was taking a sick day (I promise, I really was and am sick!) when I was bombarded by some tempting flight offers.  Okay, well, I wasn't exactly bombarded by the deals, I went looking for them! Really, it's a wonder I haven't purchased more last minute deals since I've been in Israel, as there are multiple flights to various exotic European locations on a daily basis in the $200 range. I tend to say that my husband is the culprit for our not having traveled enough, since his passport has been held hostage at the US consulate during his greencard application process. I didn't really see that one coming when I moved here...



Wait no more, I could not. I think my breaking point was when I realized recently that the Keukenhof Gardens in Amsterdam have closed their doors for the year. You see, it's long been a dream of mine to see the tulips in springtime in Amsterdam....and this year was supposed to be the year, given that  I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away. Well, the gardens are only open 7 weeks a year....and they recently closed their doors in mid-May. Yeah...we were hoping to have my husband's passport back in time, but to no avail. So,  in honor of seizing the day, tomorrow I'm hopping on a plane...solo...and am planning to spend the next week in these beautiful locales:


ZAGREB





PLITVICE NATIONAL PARK




SPLIT & THE DALMATIAN COAST








DUBROVNIK:


   



Did you know that Croatia has 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites and multiple more being considered for adoption? I think I'm gonna really like it there. Have a great week and I'll be posting upon my return!

3 comments:

  1. Have fun!! I'm SOOO jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blast! I LOVED Croatia!!!! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again with another exceptional post & you hadn't even visited Croatia.

    You've also done it again...made suggestions that will cost us money (like outdoor heaters & extra umbrellas for Chey Chey (our doggie). Now Daddy & I have to make sure to visit Croatia sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.