Saturday, February 11, 2012

Flow Yoga Jerusalem



Although there are yoga classes bi-weekly at my local gym, and although I've found a smattering of yoga classes around town, there's just nothing like going to a workout class - whether it's kickboxing or yoga - in your native language. Imagine having your eyes closed in the middle of yoga class and not understanding what your instructor is saying. You have to keep opening your eyes and look to your neighbor for clues. That's been my experience, largely. However, I recently located an English speaking yoga studio on the border of Rehavia called Flow Yoga. Just a short walk from the Inbal Hotel, you will find the studio at 33 Jabotinsky Street. 


I've been going for about a month now, and although I haven't purchased a class card which would provide discounts, it sure is enticing. I just don't want to fork out all that money all at once and then possibly not use all the classes in the allotted time period. Individual classes are 50 shekels each, or $13.50 US. A little expensive, I think, but what keeps me coming back is the fact that instruction is in English, taught by a perky American yogi and I've been able to meet some nice English speaking people in class, whether they are from here, from Europe, from Brazil or from the good ole' US of A. It's nice to have that one token "English speaking time" in a land where the main language is a foreign tongue. Boy have I been able to relate to the movie Lost in Translation. It's nice to have a little break once in a while.


Whatever your yoga style is, there is a class that will be suitable to your needs. There are usually 2-3 classes going on per day; see the website for a monthly schedule. If anyone has other recommendations in town, feel free to contribute any ideas.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.