Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stormy Weather

The threat of snow loomed large over the weekend as a winter storm rolled into Israel. Many Israelis will tell you that we got snow here in Jerusalem (there was all kinds of excitement about "it's snowing in Jerusalem right now!!" all over Facebook) but I can assure you that we got nothing more than heavy hail and heavy rain with freezing temperatures. Hail and snow are not the same thing, but sometimes I find that Israelis confuse the two. Despite the lack of snow in Jerusalem this weekend, there has been a history of snowy weather in winters past as these images will prove to you:

 
 


Just a few years ago, before I was living in Israel, my husband sent me some pictures from this very snow storm that befell Jerusalem. These images were found on the Internet, whereas his came from outside his apartment. Still so beautiful to see a desert city covered in snow:
 


And here are some more pictures of a snowy Jerusalem day at the Western Wall where people still ventured in the cold for their daily prayers (and maybe a snowball throw or two):





Around town, those desert palm trees were peppered with snow, such a strange sight to see. Jerusalem is a rare combination of being a mountain city (half a mile up in altitude) while still being in the middle of the desert.



Above, that's busy Ben Yehuda Street, covered in snow. Though, it's hard to tell with all that powder on the ground. Of course, up north in the Hermon region of Israel, snow falls every year. It's definitely not the Swiss Alps or Colorado skiing, but people are always surprised to hear that you can find snow here every year:



Last but not least, Tel Aviv definitely didn't get any snow this year (it's a coastal city, after all) but the heavy winds and rains swirled up quite a storm in the Mediterranean waters.


Here's to hoping that this storm passes by quickly and that we get the beautiful spring weather that is bound to head our way soon.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Since approx. 1952 Tel Aviv definitely didn't get any snow....:-)

    Interesting, fluent writing, i am pleased to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so beautiful. The whole country must come to a dead stop with even a light dusting of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am coming to Israel in March. What kind of jacket/coat should I bring? I'm thinking it could be cool, especially in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting that you're coming to Israel! You are right that it will be very cool in the evenings. While it reaches the 50s and 60s (F) during the days in March for cool, crisp days; the nights are a bit chillier going down to the 40s and 50s (F) so you will need one heavy coat or at the minimum a warm fleece. Last year in March I was still wearing my winter coat and boots and I'll bet it will be the same this year! It will be a beautiful time to visit Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Erin. I am from Canada so I am used to cold weather. But this helps me plan for the coat I will bring (and maybe some mittens/gloves too). I came across your blog yesterday as I was doing some research for the trip (even though we're with a tour company). Love all the photographs and I can't wait to see some of it in real life!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.